Forum des Objets Communicants et Solutions pour les Libérer...

AccueilAccueil  GalerieGalerie  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez

Interesting experience

AuteurMessage
wintermute
Lapin nain
Lapin nain

Nbr de messages : 2
Carottes : 4714

Interesting experience Empty
MessageSujet: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeMar 26 Déc 2006 - 0:13

I have no idea whether the Violet people will read this but consider this a couple of friendly hints if you do from someone who just got a bunny but has spent far too many years in the "five nines" industry (i.e. services that simply don't go down)

1: Get yourself more testers. When you think you have enough testers get more. Unittesting is wonderful and will kill some horrendously bizarre bugs prior to system test but you need dedicated testers to find the rest - namely the ones that will annoy the hell out of your users.

2: Document your migration processes BEFORE the migration. "This should do it" won't cut it. Document them. It's boring and irritating and seems meaningless when the migration goes without a hitch but if you don't do it then you will run into all the problems you missed because you didn't document it in the first place. It's like a nightmare. But the one that affects your customers is much worse because it hits your bottom line.

3: Crunch the numbers. Just because your hardware running the old code could support X number of simultaneous users doesn't mean it will be the same or improve with the new codebase. In fact it's likely it will be much worse initially. Hardware is cheap. If you don't have enough money to get more servers then you have to remove fancy features and either charge more or gain additional revenue streams (I don't know from where and I don't really care since I have no shares but Adsense and/or VC cap sounds like the obvious choice here). More hardware! Experienced admins! Someone who knows hardware should be able to help you out. (And when I say knows hardware I mean knows hardware, not knows how to screw in another box in the rack). Are you IO-bound? Disk? NIC? What is the problem - I don't know but the whole GWT-alike (well - whatever, some web2.0 framework it looks like) seems to be killing your hardware left and right.

4: You have an interesting product, you have some good services. Clean up your act and I think it will be an interesting year coming your way. Don't and you will just find that those friendly loving early adopters will turn on you quicker than you can say nabaztag.

Looking forward to things getting cleared up shortly and don't work yourself to death.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
calsim8
Nabz Junior
Nabz Junior
calsim8

Nabaztag : Gob
Nbr de messages : 51
Carottes : 4788

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeMer 27 Déc 2006 - 13:46

Thanks for your input wintermute, I agree with you on so many levels. the situation here at violet has been extremely complex and have involved a lot of unforeseen factors. One thing we have appreciated as we have been plowing away at the problems is the overwhelming support from our die-hard Nabaznauts and it has helped keep our spirits up. Suggestions like yours have been duly noted and believe me, nobody here wants to go through something like this again. This was a pretty rare situation and we are doing our best to remain as communicative and and reactive as possible. As we have communicated to the users in Nabazta(blu)gs, we have outsourced more experts, recently, to help smooth things out. The rabbits need just a little more time to reach full functionality so thanks for your patience and understanding in the meantime. Just so you know, all full services are offered for free until Feb. 15th to help compensate for the disruption. Check out the Nabaztablog for our press release from yesterday for more details on our situation. Cheers!
http://blog.nabaztag.com
wintermute
Lapin nain
Lapin nain

Nbr de messages : 2
Carottes : 4714

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeMer 27 Déc 2006 - 19:10

I know and I understand.

Like I said, I look forward to this being sorted out (because it will be at some point) and in the meantime, make sure you don't work yourselves to death. And once this is over, do a post mortem. Make sure you learn so that this can be applied when you look towards the future (i.e. database scaling/migration/corruption&reinit and all those other pesky things that tend to turn up in huge systems....).

.wm
LongView
Lapin nain
Lapin nain

Nbr de messages : 20
Carottes : 4727

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeMer 27 Déc 2006 - 22:29

I think a big lesson to be learned here is that perhaps you should have kept all the existing Tag's on the old system since it was working and provided all the services that it could utilise. The new platform should have been reserved for Tag/tag's since these were in limited supply and therefore would have ramped up the load on the new system more slowly.

An alternative would have been to do what Microsoft did with the new version of MSN Messenger which was to "invite" people onto the new platform so that you could control the number of users, perform optimisation and fix bugs, and then slowly send out invitations to more and more users before finally doing a mass migration of users that were still on the old system.

Just my thoughts. All in all I'm very happy with my new "pet" and look forward to all the old tricks it will remember it can do and the new things it will learn to do in 2007.
TyNabaz
Bronze Nabz
Bronze Nabz

Nabaztag : V1
Nbr de messages : 147
Carottes : 4712

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeMer 27 Déc 2006 - 23:17

Hello!
It is interesting to see how much more civilized the ambiance here is as compared to the French side (very excited there! I'm French).

I'm a 100% supportive of Violet, I am surrounded of computer engineers and have heard of difficult migrations before yellownabzhappy ...
Plus I sincerely hope you/Violet will fill the world with those pacific animals yellownabzsmile

I am a little bit worried though and can't find an answer:
I have been offered a nabaztag..... and discovered while registering it that there was a nabaztag/tag... Should I change it while I still can (hopefully they will take it back)?
I mean, the microphone seems fun, but my main interest is the rabbit's capability of delivering me some head news and listening to some podcast radios, kids bedtime stories... Will these services be provided only to the new rabbit?
As concerning its aspect, I liked the non shinny plastic! Apple with its I-pod made the reverse change yellownabzhappy
So, should I keep it or should I change?
Thank you for enlightening me.
jaina_organasolo
Lapin nain
Lapin nain

Nabaztag : FrankTheBunny
Nbr de messages : 32
Carottes : 4728

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeMer 27 Déc 2006 - 23:47

The microphone doesn't even do anything at the moment...lol
You can still get the podcasts etc on the old one and violet has assured people that they will still keep working with v1. i supose the only real benefit to you would be that longer podcasts will be avaliable via v2. Don't know about the radio though.

I guess it's just a question of is it worth paying a bit more for a higher level of future function. at the moment the tag/tags don't do anything more than the old ones. [/url]
calsim8
Nabz Junior
Nabz Junior
calsim8

Nabaztag : Gob
Nbr de messages : 51
Carottes : 4788

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeJeu 28 Déc 2006 - 14:57

thaat's true that those features are not yet available but i think they do add quite a value to tag/tag once they are available. the other cool thing is that both podcasts and webradio have unlimited playback. nabaztag has a 45 second limit on all playback. i'm in agreement with you Tynabaz, i like the "matte" surface of nabaztag better too, but another cool thing about tag/tag is the ears can move much faster and seemingly smoother. i still love my tag and get great use out of him at the office but i'm buying a tag/tag for the added functionality and so i can also have a rabbit at home!
http://blog.nabaztag.com
TyNabaz
Bronze Nabz
Bronze Nabz

Nabaztag : V1
Nbr de messages : 147
Carottes : 4712

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitimeJeu 28 Déc 2006 - 18:36

hum.... Thank you Calsim8! I'm still considering the opportunity of a change... or maybe wait untill everything runs smooth and then buy a second rabbit! But two in the same appartement is a luxury unless one is dedicated to radio broadcasting averywhere and the other one stays in the bedroom as an alarm clock!
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Interesting experience   Interesting experience Icon_minitime

Interesting experience
Page 1 sur 1